SOUTH AFRICA – The Shoprite Group is increasing its use of renewable energy with installation of additional rooftop solar PV (photovoltaic) systems at its Checkers supermarkets.
The new installations have been undertaken at Oudtshoorn, generating an additional 776 647 kWh; Big Bay, generating 185 144 kWh; and Knysna generating 613 630 kWh.
This comes months after the retail giant launched South Africa’s first premium supermarket to run entirely off renewable energy from wind and solar sources.
To ensure success of the project, the company has installed a 635kWp rooftop solar PV at its own Sitari Village Mall where Checkers Sitari outlet is located.
The solar system generates 35% of the needed electricity, with the remaining 65% – 1,752 MWh of renewable energy sourced from Eskom’s wind plant via the Renewable Energy Tariff (RET) programme.
Last year the group, increased the installed capacity of its solar PV system by 350% as it aims to power 25% of operations with renewable energy by 2027.
“At Checkers we acknowledge that climate change will, directly and indirectly, impact our business and the communities we are a part of.
“Solar PV plays a significant role in our strategy to mitigate climate change and Checkers is continuously increasing its use of renewable energy and improving energy efficiency costs to reduce its indirect greenhouse gas emissions.
“Installations like these also strengthen the resilience and adaptive capacity of our operations and supply chain,” said Sanjeev Raghubir, Sustainability Manager at the Shoprite Group
Solarizing its facilities forms part of Checkers’ ongoing commitment to sustainability by making better choices for the planet and changing its business for good.
This includes recycling tons of cardboard and plastic, using recycled content in packaging, reducing food and packaging waste, and sourcing products with sustainably sourced ingredients.
Meanwhile in Ghana, Fan Milk, subsidiary of multinational food-products corporation Danone, has launched a 250-kilowatt solar power facility at its depot in Kasoa, Awutu Senya East Municipality of the Central Region.
The facility was installed by Mantrac Ghana, the sole authorized dealer for Caterpillar Products in the country.
Under the power generation agreement, Mantrac Ghana will offer five years of aftermarket support to Fan Milk, including taking care of the equipment in terms of service and maintenance, reports Ghana News Agency.
With installation of the renewable energy facility, the dairy processor will not only cut on electricity costs but also minimize its CO2 emissions in line with its parent company’s ‘One Planet One Health’ frame of action.